Sunday, September 19, 2004

My 'Sparks'

Finally, I completed my Nicholas Sparks Collection (for now!). It all started with Luke's gift (thank you) in 2000, when we reunited after countless 'separations' - "The Notebook". It was significant because its his way of expressing everlasting love. I was blown away by the novel (its a true account of his grandparents' everlasting love). It made me realized that true love can last forever (deep down I know even though Luke and I could not be together, he will always have a special place in my heart). I saw the movie but it was not as inspiring.

LTY then got the majority of Sparks' novels as gifts for various occasions (am easy to please) - "The Rescue" (the autism was based on Nich's son). It portrays how a single mum struggles with a 'special' (I hate the term 'disabled') child. I was impressed with Nich's fatherly dedication (I never had a dad like him).

"Nights in Rodanthe" strikes a chord because it made me rethink my work and life. This novel was given to me before LTY went to USA. A skeptic on long distance relationship, the story gave me strength; despite the distance, my conviction tells me that our love will grow stronger during this period apart (so long as we keep communications open - take time to write letters and emails, with occassional weekend calls).

"A Bend In The Road" was about imperfections of being human, the mistakes we all make, and the joy that comes when we give ourselves to love. It teaches me to love unconditionally inspite of myself with no expectation of reciprocation. My mantra - "Love like you've never been hurt". With LTY, I realized that his past relationships made him resolve to find someone 'perfect' and I cannot be that girl (I am only human with flaws of my own). In love, you have to love the total package, otherwise its not meant to be...

"The Guardian" is a tribute to Boy, my pet siamese cat. He was with me during my 'grieving period' (he instinctively knew when I needed him). It also reminded me of my best friend in college and the 'romance' we had (he's now happily married; the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" instinctively came to mind).

The most notable gift from LTY was "The Wedding" (he gave it to me when I went USA last December). It talks about love and renewal. The irony was after months of separation and 'renewing the relationship' in USA, we drifted apart when I came back to Singapore... up till today, I still wonder what the outcome would be if we 'brave the obstacles together, come what may'. I learnt how important honesty is to a relationship especially when it concerns both parties (the more you try to hide things, you create a nonchalant front; the more it eats into you and subconsciously you drift away from the one you love) On hindsight, I instinctively felt there was 'someone at the wings' (anyway, that is a different story altogether).

I am proud to say that I paid for the next two novels! After seeing the movie a couple of months back, I read "Message In A Bottle" over two weekends. What I learnt, "No matter how hard and terrible life can be at times, it's possible to move on".

I also saw the movie and just started reading "A Walk To Remember" (this book was inspired by Spark's ailing sister). It truly captures the true essence of the wedding vow, "in sickness or in health, till death do us part"... I learnt that there are such dedicated men who tend their wife unconditionally as she whithers away...

Bottomline, I love the male protagonists in Nich's novels (youhoo, where are you?) - a family man with a kind, sentimental heart, who is adventurous yet down to earth, with a fit body to die for hahaha (in my dreams maybe? perhaps!) My alter ego has spoken ;P

No comments: